Monday, August 13, 2012

A Healthier Coffeecake?

I just love coffeecake! When I was young, both of my grandmas would make coffeecakes, but I preferred cake with frosting back then. Now that I'm old, I understand...
This coffeecake has some whole wheat flour along with some oat bran and blueberries:

1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder-I like aluminum free, such as Argo brand
1/2 cup sugar
about 1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup milk-you can use water plus powdered milk
about 2 tsp. vanilla
Blueberries-about 1 cup-I had less than 1 cup today (also good with cut up strawberries)

Mix dry ingredients well. Make a well in the center and add egg, milk, oil, vanilla. With a fork, beat the egg with the wet ingredients. Then, gently but thoroughly, mix all together. I poured a little more than half in to a greased 10 inch pie plate, sprinkled my blueberries on top and topped that with the remaining cake batter. You could just fold the blueberries into the batter, or you could top off the batter with the blueberries.

Bake at 375 degrees F. Check after 20 minutes. Toothpick inserted in center should come clean. Edges will be golden brown. I usually sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture on top before baking, but did not do that this time. It looks better with the cinnamon sugar!  You can sprinkle powdered sugar on top just before serving.

I have made this with diced fresh strawberries. It reminded me of that strawberry quick bread recipe from years ago.

1 comment:

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

This looks very sweet Laura. And your proposal to put my painting on your interest, is ok. I give you my permission. Thanks.
Lovely greet
Marja
(marjascreativity)