Thursday, May 2, 2013

Card Captain-Day 4-May 2, 2013

Happy Thursday! My project for today is an altered book layout. Maybe not so much a tutorial but an encouragement...when you alter a book, there are no rules! It's really fun and relaxing. You can do whatever you want. And if you make a mistake, you can rip out the page and start again in another part of the book.

My stamping friend, Lynette, and used Dylusions spray ink outside in her backyard. The colors are bright and vibrant, but we had trouble with the spay mechanism on 3 of the 4 bottles. We both wanted the fine mist look. We tried stencils and masks. After spraying over the stencil, we closed the book to transfer the ink from the top of the stencil to the other side of the book.





Stamped Michael Strong's dragonfly, butterfly, bird and egg on cardstock with various ink pads. Added additional color with colored pencils. Stamped various sentiments on cardstock. Used wavy scissors and the end of Labels Ten Nestabilities die to trim. Added Distress inks to edges with foam applicator. Trimmed purple paper with scissors to create "grass". Used dimentional foam adhesive to secure the egg in the "grass". Used  a small amount Perfect Paper Adhesive to adhere part of the the trimmed dragonfly, bird and butterfly and the edge of the tag. Used several strands of variegated sewing thread for the end of the tag.

I am not a fan of the ink sprays. I find that the spray gets all over the place. I worry that I'll ruin my clothing or something in my home! I prefer to sponge distress inks on the altered books. However, you may be intererested in the sprays. There are many tutorials online. Here is one from Dyan Reaveley
(Sorry for the incorrect link. It should be good now)
First she sprays water on her surface, either paper or her journal/altered book. I think that helps to blend the color. However, I was looking for a misted look. I would love to hear your comments on any of the info presented here.

Materials:
An old book-nice to start with a book with sturdy/thick pages (instead of very delicate ones)
Dylusions Spray Ink: Fresh Lime, London Blue, Vibrant Turquoise
Inkpads: Tim Holtz Distress peacock feathers, scattered straw, Stampin' Up! marvelous magenta, Colorbox Chalk (a shade of purple from Lynette's house-possibly blackberry or lavender)
Various brands of colored pencils from Lynette's and my stash
Stamps:  
Hero Arts Treasure the Moments
Michael Strong's Cloisonne Dragonfly, Cloisonne Cameo, Mini Cloisonne Wings, Mini Cloisonne Shapes
TPc studios Playful Expressions & Secret Garden Collage

Cuttlebug Measure by Measure 7" embossing border
Perfect Paper Adhesive
Dimensional foam adhesive square

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous and looks like such fun! I've seen a altered book dictionary but not just a book. I'll have to try it...

Heidi

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

Laura this is fabulous. What a great creation in this book. LOVE IT.
lovely greet
Marja