Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Watercolor Background

A friend asked me about my recent watercolor background so I decided to make a tutorial

I'm using a set of  used 28 watercolor "cakes" that my friend, Lynette gave me.
I think they are made by Simbalion.
I used a brush from my stash.

I wet my brush with water and swish it on the color cake to fill my brush with rich color!

Then I paint the colors in sections.
I'm using a "watercolor textured" paper that was given to me.
I don't know the weight or brand. It is about 4.5" high and 7.5" wide.



You can see from the photos that I just just keep adding colors.
The paper curls. It's ok if the colors run together. Makes things interesting!
Normally I let the paint air dry, but I was in a hurry to finish the card, so I used my heat tool. 

Here is the dried paper photographed in daylight, showing more accurate color.
The previous photos were taken with fluorescent light giving a blue cast.

I used half of my watercolor paper for my card. 
Roughened the edges with a distress tool.

Here is the inside, with a layer of thinner cardstock.
with a Fiskars edge punch.

Materials
Stamps: Hero Arts, Michael Strong, PrintWorks, Tim Holtz

Inks: distress peacock feathers, broken china, squeezed lemonade
Stampin Up orchid opulence, lavender lace
Versafine black onyx 

Fun fur fiber, gemstones, dimensional foam tape

4 comments:

Rosie Guiher said...

Lovely! I like how you did the inside too. Will have to remember that and try it. How do you get the inside paper to adhere to the card?
Rosie

Hetty said...

Beautiful watercoloring,Laura! And the finished card is a beauty too!

Heidi said...

Love the watercolouring and the simplicity of the card -- doesn't take away from the background!

Diane Bouse said...

Pretty technique and great results