Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Halloween Cards 2019

I started making some Halloween cards on Saturday.

Punched a circle to use as a mask for the "moon". Then sponged distress inks onto the paper: chipped sapphire, fossilized amber, peeled paint. Used hickory smoke to add cloud streaks in the moon and sky and also along edges of the paper.
Pumpkins stamped in distress carved pumpkin and colored with coloring pencils.
Used Versafine onxy black for the sentiment.
Stamps from:
Michael Strong-cloisonne alphabet (Boo), and pumpkin harvest (large pumpkins)
Posh Impressions-tree
Hero Arts-Halloween sentiment
Bat and tiny pumpkins are unmounted stamps from my stash given to me by Lynette.
Trees are from Lynette's Sizzix Branch Tree which I had in my stash.

I made six more cards on Monday.


This time I drew trees on brown cardstock and cut them out. 

After dry embossing a Darice tree, I sponged it with fall colors using distress inks:
wild honey, fired brick, peeled paint, fossilized amber, rusty hinge and gathered twigs for the tree trunk.

This tree was created with the embossing folder stamping technique.
 I like to refer to these two tutorials for the embossing folder stamping technique:
Onto the raised side of the embossing folder, I dabbed distress inks: rusty hinge, wild honey, fired brick, peeled paint, fossilized amber on the leaves and gathered twigs on the tree trunk and branches of the embossing folder. Spritzed with water. Placed a piece of watercolor paper in the embossing folder. Closed it and pressed it down with my hands. When I opened the embossing folder the tree image was transferred to the paper.

I decided to add color to the white space using a paintbrush, distress ink and water. I transferred distress ink to my craft sheet by dabbing it. In another spot, I spritzed some plain water. I wet my brush with water then grabbed some ink with the brush. In that way, I added color to the paper. It was fun playing with the color. After it dried, I added some lines  with a black XS Faber Castell PITT pen. With distress carved pumpkin ink, I stamped the tiny pumpkins on a separate piece of watercolor paper. Then added some distress inks with my paintbrush: spiced marmalade, carved pumpkin and peeled paint to color in the white areas.

Variations on a theme...hope you are not bored! I switched to faded jeans for the sky and used a favorite Penny Black tree stamp, fantasy 3880K. Used mowed lawn and my home made curvy hills templates. 

I made a Birthday/Halloween card for my friend's daughter who was born on Halloween!  I was heavy handed with the sponging of color on the dry embossed Darice tree. Cut apart a Hero Arts Happy Birthday sentiment and the Halloween sentiment combining them.

Thanks for visiting!
Hope you have a very fun Halloween!

5 comments:

Lynette Stewart said...

Wow! You did such an awesome job on all the cards and especially on your detailed descriptions of how you created them! It really shows how swapping different stamp images, die cuts, making your own die cuts, embossing folders, etc. all dramatically change the look of the Card! Loved the Watercolor embossing folder technique with all the special touches you added! So beautiful!

Diane Bouse said...

These are all so cute. I am always impressed at how you get cards done and mailed. I have lost my mojo.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderful cards- fantastic jobs on the colors! I so love your "how to's" you always include!
Having a birthday on Halloween- fun or not- but your card is fabulous!

Unknown said...

These are so nice! I didn't know that you have a blog. I will be visiting again.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

These are precious and love the pumpkins and watercolored tree! Thanks so much for your wonderful comment on my blog...I so appreciate you!