Saturday, July 29, 2023

Lady Faces July 2023

I'm at it again...artist "wanna-be"! This time I'm using my Jane Davenport Whimsical Girls book as my guide. This book was meant to be a workbook. The pages are made from and labeled with different kinds of paper: watercolor, marker paper, thin craft paper, coloring paper. There are a few pages of thin, colorful, collage paper that you can tear and use with acrylic medium for mixed media projects. For now, I am using this book for ideas on how to draw my lady faces. Not working on the actual pages of this book. Also, I just noticed that Jane has a YouTube on this book

For these faces, I used India Ink FABER-CASTELL Pitt Artist Pen, black, F (0.5 mm) and Canson watercolor paper, cold pressed 250 g/m2. When dry, I used Superior brand watercolors (set of 18 that my sister, Grace gave me). Also used my Jane Davenport  12 pan Bright Pallette watercolor set. Once dry, I added some ink blending to darken the colors: Gina K's sweet mango, wild dandelion, lucky clover and red velvet inks. Then I added some stamping around the edges.
This is the inside of the card.


For this second card, I used colored pencils to color the lady and ink blending for the border: Gina K's sweet mango, wild dandelion, lucky clover and passionate pink inks.
Here is the inside of that card.


I decided not to color the border of this card. Really liked the lady as she is. I wasn't sure which colors to use for the background...and was afraid to ruin what I had already done.
Here is the inside.


I wanted to try the "lined" hair that I saw in Jane's book. It was more difficult than it looked. Always seems that way! Jane has written text beside many of her drawings in the Whimsical Girls book. I decided to try it. I copied her way of creating the letters-fun to do. I wanted to make this girl's purple hair a little different so I blended some red with the purple on my pallette. Also I copied the blouse design from Jane's book.

I really enjoyed the process of drawing and painting. And it was fun to make the drawings into cards that I can send to friends.

Stamps: 
Stampin' Up-Letters from Friends
Heidi Grace/Fiskars-Dreamer
Heidi Grace/Fiskars-Cherrywood Ln.
Tim Holtz Mixed Media Collection Stampers Anonymous clear stamps/stencil set-THMM114
Dimensions Crafts-Thoughts of fancy stamps

Sentiment Stamps:
Penny Black-
  Friendships...2945H
  What matters...293CH
Hero Arts wood mounted set of 3 stamps-Nicest Thoughts
Stampendous-Treasured Friend
Stampabilities-Between Friends ER1034

Thanks for visiting!
Peace and all good!

2 comments:

Carole M. said...

Excellent Laura; great to see how you've worked your drawings with stamping to create a lovely card. Colours are super. A fabulous way to keep on drawing! Look forward to seeing more of these again.

MONA SANDERSON said...

Incredible job, Laura! They are beautifully drawn and illustrated!