Sunday, December 23, 2018

Sewing for my Grandchildren

I have been sewing some last minute Christmas gifts for my grandchildren.
 Here are some doll clothes that are supposed to fit a Bitty Baby doll.
I have used 3 free patterns from ReadCreations. Instructions for this sleeper can be found HERE. I changed the pattern a little by adding sleeves (drew my own based on the armscye/armhole on the pattern). Also, I added a strip of cotton interlock knit for the neckline trim. Since Vivian likes Olaf, I used a woven Olaf fabric from JoAnn's. 

Read Creations has a free pattern tutorial for a shirt and pants. I liked how the white knit sleeves looked on the sleeper, so I used knit fabric for the sleeves of the top. 

Before sewing the interlock knit cotton strip to the neckline, I serged the back opening of the shirt, then pressed 1/4 inch under. On the white interlock knit strip for the neckline, I finished the ends by sewed the ends, then turned right side out. Placed the nice finished end at the folded edge of the back.  Sewed the white knit strip to the neckline, then serged over that for a nice finish. I serged over all the seams in this way. Instead of putting a long strip of velcro to close the back, I added 2 narrow pieces, one at the top, the other at the bottom. My strip of interlock knit at the bottom of the shirt was a bit too long, so I just matched my trim to the shirt and cut off the excess. Here again, I finished the ends of the trim before sewing it on the bottom of the shirt.

I'm hoping these doll clothes fit Vivian's Bitty Baby. There are a few more items that I would like to try to make...the diaper, the hat and maybe the button down the front sleeper.

I made this small pillow and pillowcase for Vivian. The pillow measures about 16 x 14 inches. I used white cotton fabric and stuffed it with polyester fiberfill. The Olaf fabric pillowcase measures about 19-1/4 x 16 inches.

Used a firemen print fabric for 2 pillowcases for Gavin. I love the Made Everyday by Dana tutorial.
I usually try to preshrink the fabric. 

Here is Alex's pillowcase, folded in half. Since he is not using a pillow, I just made him one pillowcase. If he wants a smaller pillow like Vivian's, I can make that for him.

I have thoroughly enjoyed sewing for my Grandkids!
I hope they enjoy these items!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas if you celebrate
and a Happy Holidays!
With love!

1 comment:

Diane Bouse said...

So darn cute! Love the fire fabric for Gavin.