Friday, December 11, 2020

Generational Stamping on Christmas Card

Inspired by Heather Telford's Tannenbaum Forest Video I made these card layers using Canson 140 lb watercolor paper. A great big thanks to Heather for sharing this very fun and easy tutorial! 

Since I do not have the Penny Black Tannenbaum Trio set, I used an Inkadinkado wood mounted stamp labeled #96683. It has two pine trees. Also used a smaller wood mounted pine tree stamp that was not labeled. As Heather suggests, I inked my stamp with mowed lawn, then added some peeled paint then a little chipped sapphire on the edges.  The inked stamp is spritzed before stamping. Then two more impressions are made with that stamp without adding more ink! The spritzing allows a lighter and then again another lighter image! The lighter trees look farther off in the distance.

I used a distress vintage photo marker to add brown to the trunk of my small tree. Heather used a gathered twig brown distress marker. This is done before the first impression is made. My larger trees did not have tree trunks. 

My stamp is smaller than the Penny Black Tannenbaum Trio, so I just kept at this process till I felt I had enough trees. I followed Heather's instruction to change the color order to peeled paint, then mowed lawn, then chipped sapphire after a couple of rounds of stamping. I think she did that for her  second round of three impressions. Please refer to Heather's video for all the details on her wonderful method of generational stamping!

Heather recommends using Yellow Frog tape. I wish I had that because the blue painters tape ripped my paper when removing it. Before using it, I stuck the tape piece to my hand a few times to try to remove some of the "stickiness".  

I planned my layers to be 4 x 5-1/4 inches. But I made a mistake when cutting. Then I had to trim the rips from the blue tape removal. So I have some odd sized layers.

I used a heat tool to dry the paper before the first strip of tape was removed. Added a circle mask cut from a sticky note. Used a blending brush to add distress faded jeans to the top edge and around the circle and to the edge of the tape to get "snow hills". Once the first hill was "created", removed the tape and reapplied it for more "snow hills".

Below you can see some of my finished cards. I used a dark green card base, 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 inch size.





Then I experimented using Michael Strong's cloisonné Christmas tree, adding the distress mowed lawn, peeled paint and chipped sapphire, spritzing  and stamping. I only did the one impression with that stamp. Then I switched to the Inkadinkado two tree stamp used above and continued with Heather's generational stamping technique.




Heather's generational stamping technique was very fun and easy! I hope you give it a try!

Happy Stamping! Peace and all good!

2 comments:

Diane Bouse said...

As always, lovely. I like the ones where the trees are not ghosts over the moon. But they are all very nice.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

These are winter magic! LOVE the watercolor...just a WOW!