Sunday, February 9, 2020

Valentines 2020

This year I made Tent Valentines. They are also called Teepee or Pyramid cards. My friend Margo kindly explained how these are made, emailing details on how she made hers, using three pieces of 4" square papers for the base. These are scored and folded diagonally then glued together in such away to form the tent. For layering on top, she uses 3.75" squares, which are cut in half diagonally. These cards are VERY FUN to make!
Click on any image to enlarge.

There are lots of methods and tutorials online. It really liked seeing a video of how the 3 main pieces are glued/adhered together. I liked Frenchie's Video Tutorial and also Dawn Griffith's YouTube tutorial.

Frenchie had good tips on Velcro dots, which connect the sections and create the tent shape. I started with some velcro strips in my sewing stash. I cut them into small pieces, but that was hard to open, especially at first. I bought the Velcro Thin Clear Fasteners, General Purpose, 58 circles, 3/8 inch from Amazon and they worked really well. I saw the Velcro circles at JoAnn fabrics too. Frenchie recommended putting the rough side on  the top  and the soft side on the bottom of the closure area. The package says to wait 15 minutes after application.

At first I used solid paper, 4 inch square, for the base. Then when I was low on red cardstock, I used 2 pieces of red cardstock with 1 piece of printed paper. It was really fun using the printed papers because they all coordinated well together.

I punched flowers and fussy cutting hearts and the word banners. Most of my printed papers were from a 6 x 6 Lost & Found designer pad called Blush. I think one piece came from a 6 x 6 designer pad by Teresa Collins called Memories.












The nice thing about this card is that it folds flat and fits into an A2 envelope: 4.375 x 5.75 inches. However, I chose to use a larger A7 envelope: 5.25 x 7.25 inches. To help the recipient figure out how to make this card stand up, I printed this on a piece of computer paper:

Find the 2 little spots with Velcro and attach to make this card into a tent/teepee/pyramid shape. Enjoy!

Then I folded the paper with that message and kind of wrapped it around my tent card before placing it into my A7 envelope.

Stamps
Michael Strong, Stampin' Up!, Hero Arts, Judith Stamps

Inks:
distress festive berries, worn lipstick
oxide worn lipstick
Stampin' Up! rose red

I just LOVE Valentine's Day. I think it's because my parents were married on Valentine's Day!
That was a very long time ago...in 1953!

Let love shine every day!
Thanks for visiting! 

4 comments:

Diane Bouse said...

great way to use up some patterned paper too. These are very intriguing.

Lynette Stewart said...

How lovely that your parents were married on Valentines Day! Wonderful cards! Love the variety of stamps & papers!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Original and oh so sweet for Valentine's Day! LOVE all the designs. I too love Love Day...lol!

DawnyK said...

These are so lovely what a fun celebration! Terrific that your parents were married on Valentine's Day. Well done!