Monday, April 5, 2021

Beach Birthday Cards


I have been playing with my new (for me) Hero Arts Beach sets: Color Layering Waves CM316 and Color Layering Sea & Sky CM317. 

These cards were inspired by Nichol Spohr's video tutorial from June 2017. Using my new Gina K inkpads, I started with lighter then worked to darker blues: Ocean Mist for the bottom water stamp which is solid, Turquoise Sea for the next layer and Blue Lagoon for the uppermost layer of waves.  This worked out well in my Misti (thanks Grace!)  I cut my paper 3-1/2 by 4-3/4 inches so that the waves would extend all the way to the edge of my panel. 

I applied distress oxide antique linen with a blending brush, for the sand, leaving some white right before the edge of the waves. 

Brushed regular distress broken china for the sky. Nichol Spohr reminds us that because distress oxide inks  have pigment in them, they take longer to dry. So I used a heat tool.

I stamped the clouds with a Versamark Watermark inkpad, then used American Crafts Zing Opaque White embossing powder. Experimented with stamping the birds in distress Black Soot (above), and Memento Tuxedo Black (below). 

The Happy Birthday stamp is from an old Dimensions Clear Stamp set called Thoughts of Fancy. I used distress tea dye ink for the happy birthday and vintage photo for the footsteps on the card above. 

I mounted the layer on turquoise paper from my stash. The card base is kraft paper. The front side is dry embossed with Park Lane's Mini Heart embossing folder.

In the card above, the happy birthday was stamped in distress vintage photo and the footsteps in tea dye. I think I like this combo better.  I used a narrow border with black paper and then added that to a turquoise card base.

On this card, I left the sky plain and stamped the clouds in distress broken china. The birds and boat were stamped in Stampin' Up's Going Grey. Sentiment from Stampin' Up! stamped in VersaFine Onyx Black. Shell and starfish are from Michael Strong's Mini Cloisonne Creatures. They were stamped in SU's Pink Pirouette and So Saffron then fussy cut.

Thanks so much for visiting! Peace and All Good!

1 comment:

Diane Bouse said...

I miss the ocean. These cards help fill that void.