Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Cascading Cards

Made this cascading card for my daughter's 31st birthday which was on Easter this year!
Used paper from my stash. I think it's SU dsp.
Distress inks: crushed olive and ripe persimmon
Stamps: Hero Arts, Michael Strong, Stampin' Up! Savvy stamps

This card is for a friend. Again used paper from my stash.
Distress inks: festive berries, iced spruce
Stamps: Hero Arts, Michael Strong, Stampin' Up!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter 2016

Happy Easter!!!
Here is this year's lamb cake. Last year I had so much trouble piping the frosting that I gave up and used a spatula. This year, I added a bit more milk to my buttercream frosting until it flowed easily through the Wilton bag and decorative tip.

I placed Cadbury mini chocolate eggs around my lamb.  I wanted to add green coconut for "grass". However, I ran out of coconut and just didn't have the energy to run back to the store to buy more. I'm hoping my family will be ok with the look this year.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Crocheted Bunny Lovey

Finished crocheting 2 Bunny Loveys just in time for Easter
I used Caron Simply Soft yarn in
white, light country blue, grey heather, soft pink.
For the eyes I used scrap acrylic black yarn.
I had a hard time making the arms, so I switched to a size "G" hook for that.
The pattern called for a size "H" hook, which worked great for the rest.
Made my granny square with 2 chain stitches on the corners.
Did not add a chain between the 3 double crochet groups on the sides of the square.
Also, to prevent the square from being lopsided
I turn the piece over after each row, when starting the new row.
Wish I knew this tip a year ago. That granny square afghan came out a little lopsided.
The bunny lovey on the left has this picot edge-3 chain picots with two stitches between each.
For the right one, I just added a row of single crochet for the edge.

Thanks so much for visiting!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Cloth Baby Books

I made these cloth books for 2 special little boys, our grandson, Gavin and a friend's son, Henry!
Using a 9 inch square piece of paper for my pattern, I cut 2 squares from 5 different fabrics using a quarter yard (9 inches) of each fabric. This was enough to make 2 books.
In order to get the same fabric on the left and right pages at once,
you have to figure out which pieces go where.

I place my pieces as if it were in book form, pinning so I can double check to see that the pieces will come where I want.  It's a bit mind boggling to me.  I sew 2 corresponding 9" pieces together using about 3/8 inch seam allowance.

Then lay 2 pages, right side together with batting on the bottom. I didn't take a photo of this. Sew all around the edges, with approximately 3/8 inch seam allowance, leaving an opening to turn. I trim the corners, serge the edges, except where the opening it. Turn right side out. Press and topstitch all around, carefully securing the opening.
Here you can see the "pages" which have been sewn.
Match up the cover and 1st page. Topstitch in the center.
Add the 3rd page and topstitch again, slowly and carefully. I only broke 1 sewing machine needle!

Monday, March 21, 2016

Bits and Pieces

While trying to de-clutter my stamping area, I put together these cards
using bits and pieces I had collected.
Sponged distress inks dried marigold, twisted citron and broken china using a "stencil" which was a plastic film on my new laptop keyboard. Flowers stamped in wild honey and squeezed lemonade.
Used one of my favorite Stampin' Up! sets: Watercolor Garden.

This distress ink background was calling for Dina Wakley's Scribbly Birds
and my vertical Happy Birthday by Verses. 
Used a strip of tulle for the bow at the bottom. It's difficult to see. 
Ink: Versafine black onyx

Used a recycled piece (leaves) and a previously stamped text piece.
The gentlemen,stamped in distress vintage photo and sponged in black soot,
 are from a Tim Holtz Visual Artistry Collection set called Curious Possibility

Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Framed Stampscapes Scene

I finally finished this 5 x 7 inch Stampscapes scene 
on glossy cardstock of unknown origin-my friend Lynette gave it to me.
I splurged and bought several Colorbox stylus tools and foam tips. 
When done, I stored them in a ziplock bag as Kevin recommends.
This keeps the foam from drying out. You can clean the tips with water. 
Kevin warns to hold the stylus at the very bottom so you don't break the tool.
Kevin has a great  text tutorial on his stampscapes website:
I love how he shares so many tips and techiques!
I love watching Kevin create his art!

I wrote notes on this image so I would remember how I made this.
I tried to use light pressure, going one way with the foam tips
otherwise the foam will rip. Kevin shows this in the video.
I was not able to get the light "right".

Here is the framed piece that I'm giving to my son-in-law as a belated birthday gift.

Stamps: Stampscapes, Stampin' Up!, Inkadinkado (small pine trees)

Distress Inks: scattered straw, spiced marmalade, ripe persimmon, forest moss, 
pine needles, faded jeans, frayed burlap, brushed corduroy