Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Cloth Baby Books

I made these cloth books for 2 special little boys, our grandson, Gavin and a friend's son, Henry!
Using a 9 inch square piece of paper for my pattern, I cut 2 squares from 5 different fabrics using a quarter yard (9 inches) of each fabric. This was enough to make 2 books.
In order to get the same fabric on the left and right pages at once,
you have to figure out which pieces go where.

I place my pieces as if it were in book form, pinning so I can double check to see that the pieces will come where I want.  It's a bit mind boggling to me.  I sew 2 corresponding 9" pieces together using about 3/8 inch seam allowance.

Then lay 2 pages, right side together with batting on the bottom. I didn't take a photo of this. Sew all around the edges, with approximately 3/8 inch seam allowance, leaving an opening to turn. I trim the corners, serge the edges, except where the opening it. Turn right side out. Press and topstitch all around, carefully securing the opening.
Here you can see the "pages" which have been sewn.
Match up the cover and 1st page. Topstitch in the center.
Add the 3rd page and topstitch again, slowly and carefully. I only broke 1 sewing machine needle!

2 comments:

Diane Bouse said...

Yeah....you got them done. They look great.

Gwen J said...

These are great, Laura!